Friday, July 27, 2007

Dr. Ellis - Thank you and Goodbye

On Tuesday, July 24, Dr. Albert Ellis, passed away. He was one of the most influential figures in modern psychology. Most people don’t know this but he also was a major influence on the strategies and skills in Consultative Selling. Whenever I am asked about Consultative Selling Models and approach I have developed, I talk about Dr. Ellis, my mentor and dear friend.

I had the good luck and blessing to work for him for several years in the 70s at his Institute as a teacher and then the director of his Living School, a free, private elementary school that he founded and housed in his Institute on 65th Street, New York City. After graduate school when I got the job there, I could hardly believe it.

Yes, Dr. Ellis was controversial but to me he was a guiding light. He taught all of us on his staff to accept and believe in ourselves. Everything we teach at Richardson about questioning and listening has its roots with Dr. Ellis. He was the master — his probing was insightful, caring, poignant, and the key to problem solving, commitment, and action.

This is an affectionate salute to Dr. Ellis and a thank you and goodbye.

Linda

To read about Dr. Ellis in the New York Times, please click here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A nice tribute to Dr. Ellis, a courageous man and a unique thinker who lived and died exactly the way he wanted to...“I’ll retire when I’m dead,” he said at 90. “While I’m alive, I want to keep doing what I want to do. See people. Give workshops. Write and preach the gospel according to St. Albert.”